Tips: Before traveling

I always wanted to jump from Europe to other continents and experience other cultures quite different from ours. How about you? In particular, I am always love to visit Africa and Asia, for such radical changes in culture, religion and food.


When you’ve already decided to take the chance, ask yourself: "What should I do before traveling to far away countries?" If you don't want to worry about anything, here are some tips to follow before the trip:

Vaccines

Request an appointment at your nearest health center to advise you about the vaccines you'll need. 


The most common vaccines are Tetanus and Hepatitis A and B. Moreover, for some specific countries like Kenya is mandatory the Yellow Fever vaccine and typhus. Although Malaria is perhaps the disease you have to be more careful. It is advisable to take preventive measures for malaria; I took Malarone, prescribed in my Foreign Health Center.
 
Malaria’s medication is not 100% effective so, in addition to taking it, I recommend you to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites. When I was in Kenya, it was my first time taking prophylaxis against malaria, and I become obsessed about mosquitoes, long-sleeved clothing (especially at dawn and dusk when most mosquitoes go out), extra strong repellent (which is quite abrasive to the skin, so be careful. Oh and smells horrible!) and an ultrasound device I bought and it was supposed that the human ear was not aware of this sound, and I spent 10 days listening a beep every night. I really do not know if prophylaxis was effective or was the mix of everything I did but, despite a mosquito bit me while I showered, I did not had any disease on my return.

My advice is to always carry a scarf or pashmina because anytime you can be sightseeing and night makes you, and if you're not prepared, you will be eaten by mosquitoes!

Valid passport

The expiration date must be at least 6 months before the trip. It’s important that you take a photocopy of your passport with you, as original one should be let in the hotel safe box or in the suitcase and bear only a photocopy.

Separate chapter should be about Visa, as it depends on each country and ways to deal with it are different.


Travel Insurance

On this issue, there are many opinions, goes to everyone's taste if you want to take some kind of international health insurance. In the case that you have a private insurance, you are covered, but if not, I recommend you take any insurance covering for foreign travel: accidents, lost baggage, theft, natural disasters...

Registration travelers

Before traveling to any foreign country, should be consulted on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs the country's current conditions. Also, if you want to be cautious, depending on the country you are planning to go, you should register as a traveler on the Government Website so your Country knows where you are, if a natural disaster or similar occurs.

Travel Kit

One thing I always do before traveling is to prepare the medicine cabinet. It has been very helpful for me on many occasions and I think we cannot ignore it. A week before the trip, you should review what medicines, creams... you would need for the trip and it would be difficult or expensive to by on destination. Prepare a small bag with the essentials. I leave a list of what I usually include in mine:

Paracetamol / Ibuprofen

Antihistamine

Oral serum/ omeprazole

Plasters / Gauze / Disinfectant

Mosquito repellent (extra strong)

Aloe vera for burns


I always follow this tips, so I hope it will be useful for you as well.

Happy Thursday travelers!

Comments